Habitat for Humanity of Omaha helps empower individuals and families as they work toward becoming first-time homeowners. Throughout the process future homeowners gain hands-on construction experience and attend homeownership workshops. Once home construction or renovation is complete and the affordable Habitat Omaha loan is issued, individuals are well on their way to becoming successful homeowners.
The first step in the application process is to attend an Information Session. Our January and February sessions are open for registration.
1. Housing Need. Current housing is inadequate, substandard, or unaffordable.
2. Ability to Pay.
- Applicant(s) must have a reliable, steady and verifiable source of income for the last 2 years. The income should be expected to continue for the next 5 years of the mortgage.
- Credit history shows ability to repay the loan, with minimal late payments in the past 2 years.
- Good rental history within the last year.
- Collections, charge offs and judgments more than $2,000 will require free credit counseling before application.
- Bankruptcy needs to be discharged a minimum of 3 years with re-established credit.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident.
3. Willingness to Partner. Families will partner with Habitat Omaha in several important ways.
- Sweat equity (volunteer hours) – 275 hours (for 2 applicants) and 200 hours (for 1 applicant). Sweat equity hours can be earned on construction sites, at Habitat ReStores or in our office.
- Applicant(s) must:
- complete a series of educational workshops.
- be willing to purchase a Habitat Omaha house and make regular monthly mortgage payments with an affordable interest rate for a 30-year mortgage term.