Habitat for Humanity of Omaha helps empower families as they work toward becoming first-time homeowners. Throughout the process families gain hands-on construction experience and attend homeownership workshops. Once construction/existing home renovation is complete and the affordable Habitat Omaha loan is issued, families are well on their way to becoming successful homeowners.
Interested in learning more about Habitat Omaha’s Homeownership Program? Please join us for an optional information meeting, where we will cover the program process and requirements as well as answer any questions you may have. All information meetings are held at our office (1701 N. 24th St., Omaha, NE 68110) from 10:00 – 11:00 a.m.
Information Meeting Dates:
Saturday, June 1
Saturday, July 13
Saturday, August 3
Saturday, September 14
Saturday, October 5
Saturday, November 2
Saturday, December 7
1. Housing Need. Current housing is inadequate, substandard, or unaffordable.
Income Guidelines: Numbers are from HUD Income Limits, 2019, Omaha Metropolitan Area The household’s gross monthly income (before taxes and deductions) should fall in the following range (for household size greater than 8, please contact our office):
2. Ability to Pay.
- Applicant(s) must have a reliable, steady and verifiable source of income for the last 2 years. The income should be expected to continue for the next 5 years of the mortgage.
- Credit history shows ability to repay the loan, with minimal late payments in the past 2 years.
- Good rental history within the last year.
- Collections, charge offs and judgments more than $2,000 will require free credit counseling before application.
- Bankruptcy needs to be discharged a minimum of 3 years with re-established credit.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident.
3. Willingness to Partner. Families will partner with Habitat Omaha in several important ways.
- Sweat equity (volunteer hours) – 350 hours (for 2 applicants) and 250 hours (for 1 applicant), which is about 15-20 hours per month. Sweat equity hours can be earned on construction sites, at Habitat ReStores or in our office.
- Applicant(s) must:
- complete a series of educational workshops.
- be willing to purchase a Habitat Omaha house and make regular monthly mortgage payments with an affordable interest rate for a 20-30 year mortgage term.