Empty Nester Housing Program
A key part of Habitat for Humanity of Omaha’s Bluestem Prairie is the development’s “empty nester” villas, designed for residents who no longer have children living at home. Creating this community offers a great opportunity to longtime Habitat Omaha homeowners, especially those 55 and over, or those who are ready to downsize from their existing homes.
This offer allows Habitat Omaha to weave previous homeowners, who know the value of sweat equity, homeownership, and building generational wealth, into the fabric of its intergenerational community. It also will help increase the number and quality of housing stock for first-time homebuyers, an area of tremendous demand.
Your acceptance into the program is based on the information contained in your application and a willingness to have Habitat Omaha purchase your current home.
Habitat Omaha updates its eligibility requirements based on housing market conditions.
We reserve the right to revise these requirements at any time.
Ability to Pay:
- Applicant(s) must have a reliable, steady and verifiable source of income for the last 2 years.
- The income should be expected to continue for the next 5 years of the mortgage.
- Credit history shows ability to repay the loan, with minimal late payments in the past 2 years.
- Good rental history within the last year.
- Collections, charge offs, and judgments more than $2,000 will require free credit counseling before application.
- Bankruptcy needs to be discharged a minimum of 2 years with re-established credit
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident.
Willingness to Partner:
- Complete a series of educational workshops.
- Be willing to sell your home to Habitat for Humanity of Omaha, if applicable.
- Be willing to purchase a Habitat Omaha house and make regular monthly mortgage payments with an affordable interest rate for a 30-year mortgage term.
Please allow 30-65 days to evaluate your assessment questionnaire. We will contact you via email or phone with additional information assessing your completed questionnaire. If you have questions or concerns, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The above requirements are for our Empty Nesters program. An application for this program is not a loan application or a guarantee of a loan or Habitat Omaha house.
Disclaimer: Habitat Omaha reserves the right to refuse an applicant’s home based on its upkeep and condition.