Habitat for Humanity in Waterloo
Since 2014, Habitat Omaha has extended its homeownership program to include a home build in Waterloo, Nebraska, west of the Omaha metro area. Churches and businesses in Western Douglas County have come together to sponsor and build this home each year beginning in July.
Affordable Homeownership in Waterloo
Are you interested in becoming a first-time homeowner? Habitat Omaha can help you make this dream affordable and attainable. To learn more, contact Jenny Garcia at email@example.com.
1. Housing Need. Current housing is inadequate, substandard, or unaffordable
Income Guidelines: Numbers are from HUD Income Limits, 2019, Omaha Metropolitan Area
The household’s gross monthly income (before taxes and deductions) should fall in the following range (for household size greater than 8, please contact our office):
2. Ability to Pay.
- Applicant(s) must have a reliable, steady and verifiable source of income for the last 2 years. The income should be expected to continue for the next 5 years of the mortgage.
- Credit history shows ability to repay the loan, with minimal late payments in the past 2 years.
- Good rental history within the last year.
- Collections, charge offs and judgments more than $2,000 will require free credit counseling before application.
- Bankruptcy needs to be discharged a minimum of 2 years with re-established credit.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident.
3. Willingness to Partner. Families will partner with Habitat Omaha in several important ways.
- Sweat Equity (volunteer hours) – 350 hours (for 2 applicants) and 250 hours (for 1 applicant), which is about 15-20 hours per month. Sweat Equity hours can be earned on construction sites, at Habitat ReStores or in our office.
- Applicant(s) must:
- complete a series of educational workshops.
- be willing to purchase a Habitat Omaha house and make regular monthly mortgage payments for a 20-30 year mortgage.
Learn More and Get Involved
To learn more about how you can get involved with this build, contact Emily Lowndes Prauner at firstname.lastname@example.org or (402) 884-7390.
If you are interested in financially supporting our Waterloo build, donate online now!