DIY Rock the Block
Rock the Block aims to inspire people to become active participants in their neighborhoods while helping to transform the face of a block in just one day. During each event, volunteers and homeowners come together to help with beautification and exterior repair projects. Since current conditions don’t allow us to bring volunteers and staff to you, we’d like to encourage you to Rock the Block in your neighborhood.
Here are some tips to get you started:
- Create a flyer to hand out to your neighbors. Invite them to participate in a neighborhood cleanup day. Include a specific date to create the most impact.
- Add some art to the neighborhood by using chalk to create fun, colorful designs on your driveways and sidewalks.
- Typical Rock the Block project ideas include paint touchups, planting flowers, light landscaping, cleaning up litter and clearing limbs and other tree debris.
- Do your neighbors need help with a project? See what you can do to (safely) help them out! You might have some skilled neighbors that can help tackle specialty projects like painting and repairing fences.
- If you would like to spruce up a common area, reach out to a local nursery to see if they have ideas or even plants/flowers they are willing to donate to beautify your neighborhood.
- Need helpful tips on how to reduce litter in your neighborhood? Visit keepomahabeautiful.org.
- Are you looking for a safe way to clean out your garage and make sure hazardous items don’t go to the landfill? Under the Sink can help! Visit underthesink.org for more information.
- Neighborhood cleanup days are loads of fun, but can also create a lot of trash. If your whole neighborhood is joining in, it’s best to have a plan ahead of time. For Dumpster Services, reach out to Waste Management or Papillion Sanitation to have a dumpster delivered to your neighborhood.
We’d love to see your neighborhood clean-up projects and progress! Email pictures to email@example.com.